Medical Lab Technician - Hematopathology
Company: City of Hope
Posted on: June 6, 2021
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and
educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to
the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening
diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of
Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and
advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and
scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute
designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the
National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's
leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of
care for cancer treatment.
Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is under the direction of a
licensed Supervisor and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientists. The MLT
must apply practical and theoretical knowledge to accurately
perform and evaluate waived, and moderate complex laboratory
procedures in an efficient manner. Demonstrates behavioral skills
that contribute to a productive work environment and provides
excellent customer service. Performs all procedures and other tests
in the laboratory as delegated and as qualified under the Clinical
Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) 1988, and the State of
Key Responsibilities include:
- Uses comprehensive knowledge of scientific theory and
departmental policies and procedures to perform waived and moderate
complex testing and procedures.
- Understands and complies with policies and procedures to
- Recognizes, troubleshoots and resolves problems/adverse
situations utilizing analytical thinking skills.
- Observes best laboratory practices to ensure high quality of
work with consistent accuracy and precision to promote exceptional
patient care and outcomes.
- Adheres to proper safety procedures and precautions for
chemical and biological hazards in compliance with College of
American Pathologists (CAP) requirements, California Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (CALOSHA), City of Hope and
Departmental policies and procedures.
- Participates as a productive member of the work team.
- Contributes to the productivity of the work team through
adaptability and flexibility to workload and schedule changes in a
way that promotes cooperation and minimizes disruption to the work
environment and complies with the organization and departmental
- Coordinates a simultaneous series of tests with complete
accuracy in a timely manner and
- demonstrates a low error rate. Handles the normal workload in
an organized and efficient manner and priorities and multitasks to
handle heavy workload as needed.
- Utilizes spare time for appropriate work-related activities,
such as assisting coworkers who need aid, performing inventory and
inventory control tasks, clerical duties, etc.
- Demonstrates, promotes, and assists with quality assurance
activities to ensure the highest quality outcomes.
- Performs and verifies valid waived and moderate test results
through evaluation of assay/instrument parameters including quality
control, reagent performance, calibration, etc. before reporting
- Properly operates and maintains instruments and equipment.
- Participates in the completion of quality control (QC) /
quality assurance (QA) procedures as scheduled and as per
department policies and procedures. Assists in preparation for and
participates in internal audits, external inspections, proficiency
testing surveys, and properly maintains records to fulfill the
requirements of accrediting
- Participates in continuous process improvement.
- Meets the workflow functions of a busy clinical
- Assesses the adequacy of samples prior to testing and follows
appropriate procedures for inadequate specimens, consulting with
the CLS as necessary.
- Assesses and documents the suitability of delivered reagents
and supplies. Properly logs, labels and stores reagents and
supplies per manufacturer's guidelines and department protocols.
Initiates appropriate corrective procedures for damaged/leaking
reagents and supplies. Distributes special alerts and
notifications, received with reagents and supplies, to the
department staff and supervisor.
- Actively ensures adequate stock and in-date of reagent and
supplies so that there are no interruptions in patient
- Cross-trains across instrumentation in the clinical laboratory
- Develops and maintains skills to provide coverage as assigned
by the supervisor.
Basic education, experience and skills required for
- Associate of Arts or Science degree in a science related field
and completion of an accredited program for Medical Laboratory
- Licensed as a MLT in the state of California.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and
is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH
- Posting Date: May 21, 2021
- Job Field: Allied Health
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job
Keywords: City of Hope, Baldwin Park , Medical Lab Technician - Hematopathology, Other , Duarte, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!