About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and
educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to
the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening
diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of
Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and
advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and
scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute
designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the
National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's
leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of
care for cancer treatment.
The Nurse Manager is responsible for direct operational aspects,
patient quality and patient experience of designated unit(s) on a
7-day/week, 24-hour basis in collaboration with the Senior Nurse
Be a positive leader with excellent people skills and nurturing
of human resources. Encourage open and positive communication as an
advocate for COH, the staff and our patients; collaborate with both
internal and external customers to meet our strategic goals. Be a
change agent and encourage staff to welcome change. Monitor and
control resources (human and material), provide excellent customer
service. Encourage higher learning/ professional development in
staff. Assures professional and regulatory standards are met and
Key Responsibilities include:
Program Planning and Goal Setting
- Assist leadership in managing and implementing departmental
programs and goals that support the strategic plan for the
organization and for patient care services
- Support departmental implementation of new technology,
services, and ongoing improvement
- Effectively communicate (written & oral) across the
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Establish and support standards for patient care to assure
patient care is timely, safe and effective.
- Assure satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers
with care and services that are delivered.
- Develop and fosters collaborative relationships with other
departments to support safe and high-quality patient care and
- Assure regulatory standards are met
- Measure performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient
- Report results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate and
develop corrective action plans in collaboration with Senior Nurse
- Promote the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery
of patient care.
- Support and facilitate critical thinking of staff.
- Maintain required competencies and participate in direct
patient care as indicated
- First responder to TIPs (Tracking Information for Patient
Safety). Collect and assess facts and formulate a response.
Escalate unresolved issues to next level nursing leadership and to
the interprofessional team.
Personnel and Human Resource Management
- Develop, maintain and monitor staffing plan for assigned units
in collaboration with Senior Nurse Manager to ensure needs are met.
Participates in recruitment and maintains adequate numbers of
competent staff to provide care and meet patient care
- Facilitate the orientation of new staff and the continuing
education and professional development of existing staff.
- Assure staff have current licenses, certifications and are
competent to provide care.
- Manage and lead staff to develop collaborative working
relationships within department and with other departments as
- Collaborates with Senior Nurse Manager and human resources to
provide counseling or performance improvement of staff as
- Support and develop the staff to ensure availability to
participate in (shared governance) at the unit and organizational
- Provides oversight and manages temporary
(registry/traveler/float) staff that may be assigned to
- Participates in development of annual budget for assigned
- Monitor variances from budget on a periodic basis
- Collaborate with others to identify capital equipment and
projects needs on an annual basis
- Develops annual staffing plan and submits for approval.
- Identifies need for modifications to annual staffing plan and
submits justification for new positions or changes to staffing
- Submits required documents for purchasing equipment, supplies,
and or for department repairs
- Collaborates with Nursing Leadership in the development of
Return on Investment (ROI) for new programs or services
- Follows hospital code of conduct for behavior
- Maintain professional appearance in business or business casual
- Creates positive and collaborative work environment
- Respond and arrive prepared and in a timely manner
- Assume positive intent and remain open minded
- Communicate clearly with honesty and integrity
- Be respectful and committed to the organization at all
Basic education, experience and skills required for
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- 3 years of experience in an area of expertise relevant to the
department with demonstrated progressive leadership growth.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of relational
competencies and serve as professional role model for staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a long-term vision and
inspire others to engage.
- Demonstrate delegation and coaching skills.
- California RN license required
- Effective January 1, 2020, National Certification from approved
list in area of expertise or leadership certification (must obtain
within 2 years of hire date or transfer date).
- American Heart Association-Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Chemotherapy/Biotherapy certification
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Master of Science in Nursing or equivalent MBA, MHA, MN
- Shift: Day, Nights, Evenings
- Job Status: Full-time
- Relocation assistance may apply.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and
is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Mar 12, 2021
- Job Field: Nursing
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job